Home Page Play games in the arcade * * Home Page Home Page Home Page
  Register
Login 
View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to supermarionumb3rs

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Home Page Home Page  [ 12 posts ] 
  Print view | E-mail friend
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: A Fan Made Sonic game!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:17 pm 
Site Admin

Highscores: 3
I was thinking of making a 2D Sonic fan game! That's right, your Canadian guy here, wants to make a Sonic game.
A decision-based RPG, Rated T-ish Sonic game.

I still gotta make some prototypes before I start asking for volunteers to help me make this game happen. My main goal is to make you emotionally connect to every Sonic character in the game and feel torn when you couldn't do your best.

The gameplay is divided into 3 sections. Exploration, Decision-making, and RPG battles.

The battles alone should put you on edge. However, even when you are talking to other characters you should always be on edge. Because you can't skip cutscenes as you actually make Sonic's dialogue and action of choice. So the player can represent the type of Sonic the Hedgehog they believe he is.

Now I was thinking of dividing the story into 5-7 chapters. And depending on what choices you make, can change the story in some way. So say if you were to agree or disagree with Shadow, he might have your back in a later chapter if you agreed with him. Or it could be a scenario where you either help Tails get his foot unstuck, or save Cubot from being crushed when Orbot begs you to save his friend's life. Your story will differ if you decide whether or not Cubot is worth saving.

The tone is going to be very dark and morbid. However, the game itself will have personality. But only if you let Sonic be that way. It's entirely your choice on whether or not you want Sonic to give Vector a hug, scold Charmy Bee for being annoying, or scare Tails on purpose just for laughs.

I still have a lot to consider before going forward with this idea. Just know, it will be nothing like any Sonic game you have played.

ImageImage

Report this post

Post subject: Re: A Fan Made Sonic game!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:33 pm 

I believe there was a Sonic RPG game that had you make choices. Oh that is right, it was Sonic Chronicles Dark Brotherhood. Created by Bioware for the Nintendo DS that you could choose what Sonic says. But it sounds like you are going more in the direction of the Infamous series with a morality choice along with that. I will say this, fans do come up with some great ideas for their favorite franchise. You got my interest.

Been gaming since day 1.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:09 am 
Site Admin

Yeah, forgot to mention that. The Dark Brotherhood did indeed do it first. And as a game alone is, I liked it for the most part, but it wasn't entirely memorable. And I honestly remember it as an RPG over the feature of choosing your own dialogue.

However, I want to make the dialogue options you pick to have an impact on the game. And not just asking a question or making a point, but depending on what you can say or do, branches out the storyline and you can make the character development. And there will be a single chapter that will go by where you'll regret making a particular choice. And to increase the anxiety, you can't just have all the time in the world to make your choice. What I mean is that the majority of what you choose, will be on a timer to put pressure on you to make quick reactions. So you're given little time to come up with a choice. As I mentioned above, do you save Cubot or help Tails first? If Cubot's life is in danger, then you would probably only have 4-7 seconds to react before you're too late. Not choosing an option could either default you to a particular choice, make Sonic remain silent, or it could lead to a Game Over. I want you to feel like you're in Sonic's shoes, forced to make such difficult decisions, with no way to not feeling guilty. And because it's Rated T, the consequences of your actions should make you feel horrible. It could be the difference of a life being lost, or your social relationship with someone going bad. And some choices will make you have to choose sides. This is where a lot of the investment is going to be. And it's entirely up to you to present Sonic the way you believe he should be represented or what the best choice should be. There's no right way or wrong way to play the game. You can make Sonic a total asshole and still beat the game.
I have already thought of some of the choices Sonic will make. Not just a part of the main storyline, but even a few side quests can have more than one way to end it.

I was thinking that maybe one side quest could have Sonic talking to a HUGE Sonic fan who asks trivial questions on the series in general, and this would hopefully shed some light on an overall dark game. And this NPC would be in every chapter. So the fan could ask questions like:

“Where was Knuckles born?”
- On Angel Island
- At the Mystic Ruins
- Station Square’s hospital
- He was created by Dr. Eggman

“What is the name of Cream the Rabbit’s mother?”
- Clementine
- Rosie
- Sugar
- Vanilla

And some other side quests ideas I had, you could have Sonic clear out a cemetery full of enemies, in order for people to bury their loved ones who died in the tragedy. Or you could help someone find their soul mate, to which you were forced to promise the dying father, you'll help find his son a beautiful wife. However, the son himself, just doesn't have an attraction to the same species. So you can either go on the father's wish to find him a human wife, or find a woman of an anthropomorphic species that the son would actually find attractive, (therefore going against what the father wanted.) So you can optionally get an NPC engage through either an interspecies relationship (like what the son wants) or through a same-specie relationship (like what the dead father wanted). Or another side quest could revolve around helping a prisoner with his work that is impossible to complete on his own, all while you have to stealth around the guards and not get caught.

While the game is an RPG, with RPG fighting and items to help in battles, a huge chuck of the game comes from the choices you make, and the consequences of the ones you have to live with.

ImageImage

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:41 pm 
Site Admin

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... sp=sf_link

- A survey about the Sonic characters and research for my game in development

ImageImage

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:29 pm 

I put in my feed back. Knowing me, you should recognize my choices.

Been gaming since day 1.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:55 am 
Site Admin

Unfortunately I don't know which one is your submission since your time of post doesn't end up close to any close responses.

Got 45 responses and likely more since I made this post.

ImageImage

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:45 am 
Site Admin

It's been 3 weeks and the program I am needing to make the game is still not in the mail!!!

But I have been able to branch out more ideas and think of how the battles and hub worlds would be set up.

As I said, it will be a decision-making game. So you can make your own dialogue choices or actions that can differentiate how other characters talk to you. And Sonic is your avatar in the world. Here's an example from the script of how you can represent Sonic.

Dr. Eggman: (O.S.) Muhahaha! Behold Central City! My grand master plan! If you could all kindly make some room for the next few days, that would be great. My plan shall be initiated in the next..... Oh is it really that time already! - 10 minutes! You'll have to forgive me for the short notice.

Sonic and Tails stand at the edge of the Fleet with the tornado on the side.

Tails: That's harsh.

[I'll give him a short notice]
[Let's do this!]
[Eh, he's done worse]

Despite the popular demand on my POLL, I don't think there's a role to give Silver and Blaze that can help with the story without adding them for the sake of fan service. Outside of original characters, the ones from the series I do plan to put in are Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Shadow, Rouge, Dr. Eggman, Orbot, Cubot, Big, Vector, Charmy, Cream, Cheese, and Vanilla. Every single one of these characters has at least a purpose to be in the story. They will help further character development or even affect the way you think about your choices.

Now each chapter of the game is going to have its very own hub world. Some hub worlds that I plan are a city, an airport, the meadows, and a prison. Each hub is used as a way to walk to the next main quest of the story, but you can also complete side quests, go to stores, or explore areas where you can battle for some rings and items. And once you complete a chapter, you're not allowed to replay the story again unless you completely format your game data. The reason being is because I want you to live with the consequences of your actions. However, you will always be able to go back to the hub world to finish off those side quests. One of the two NPCs who will appear in every chapter is a huge Sonic fan who asks you trivial questions as a side quest and then a personal question afterwards. I already shown two examples of what the fan would have above. But then he'll ask personal questions like, "What do you see your friend Tails as?" or "Is it hard living with the destruction those horrible people have caused?" or if I really want to go rated Teen, "Do you have a penis?" And then the other NPC who would appear in every chapter is the exact opposite. This guy is a hater and will say anything that comes to mind to make you feel awful about yourself. The working name for him is Ignis, and despite being the same name as the Final Fantasy XV character, I picked that name because of the first three letters. You're gonna hate Ignis, and Ignis will not shy away from making you feel bad. Always saying, "oh Sonic has never done any good."

And as for the battles themselves, you can control two different side characters, other than Sonic on what attacks to make and whether or not they'll use items. However, because of the game's premise, I'm going to take away the one feature commonly used in RPG games. Experience Points. Now you might be asking, well then how do I level up? Well, you can increase Sonic's HP by doing certain side quests, and you'll automatically be awarded with an HP increase after you complete a chapter. You can also buy equipment from a store to give Sonic and his friends a boost in attack, defense, agility, HP, and such. I still have to figure out what the equivalent of MP will be. However doing battles isn't entirely worthless as you will earn rings and items. Items to be used in future battles and rings to buy more items from the store. And with the help of side quests, you'll make the later chapters easier on yourself as the difficulty will increase as well. My goal is to make replayability worth it and not have it be an RPG game where you have to do a lot of grinding. And that's because I want most of the emotional investment to be on the choices you make. So to make you grind a lot would easily make you lose the interest in the story and it might make you forget the consequences of your actions.

ImageImage

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:59 am 

So you are going with the Lightning's Return of the Final Fantasy XIII approach with Stat increase. In that game, you can build up Lightning's stats by completing quests. Main quests give a big stats increase while all side quests give small stats increase. Interesting choice.

Been gaming since day 1.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:46 pm 
Site Admin

Never played Final Fantasy XIII so I wouldn't know what you are talking about. I've only played FFX and FFXV which had a very different way of doing combat. But essentially, you have to fight based on what you have and how much you've collected from helping other people on your side quests, instead of improving by experience. Not only is this a lot more realistic, but I feel like it will put you on edge more, as I want you to always feel pressured by not only the choices you make when having a conversation, but also in battle with what very little you got.

One of the most recent moments that I scripted is a cutscene where you meet Orbot and Cubot for their first appearance on Eggman's Fleet, and they have a tea party on the table to mock Sonic, while Eggman tries to go forth with his plans. And if you remember a post I made in Super Mario NUMB3RS, (I forget which chapter is was), I had Cubot sneak into Peach's party and try some tea. Which of course electrocuted him, and he was pleased by it saying, "it gives me the buzz!" I'm going to add that in the game just to make Cubot a little quirky. Quirky enough so you either like him or find him annoying, that could determine his fate based on a major choice you have to pick.

Here's a sketch of the first hub world:

19814554_10213890276676251_1459257851_o copy.jpg
19814554_10213890276676251_1459257851_o copy.jpg [ 40.5 KiB | Viewed 32 times ]

So it's in a city. The center is a giant fountain, and the surrounding area includes two functional stores, bathrooms, a beach, a dock, a cemetery, a cathedral, library, and even an insurance office.
Insurance Company: F*CK YOU EGGMAN! WE ARE NOT PAYING FOR THESE DAMAGES!
There are 9 NPCs (marked in black pen) and you can probably guess which two connect as one side quest. Because I am aiming for more of a Rated T Sonic game, there is more satire and adult humor with some of the NPCs. IGN is the Ignis character I was talking about and he's involved in one side quest. There's of course an Insurance Office which could satirize how bankrupt the company would be after all the destruction Eggman has caused. And you have a cemetery which will connect to one or two side quests, a Cathedral and Priest to show there's religion in Sonic's world, and even a nudist on the beach just to mock naturism between species (as all anthros, if not human, are usually nude.) And where would a Sonic game be without a damn Killer Whale?

ImageImage

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:59 am 
Site Admin

Finally got the Game Making Program and now I'm just creating test maps.

Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 5.09.28 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 5.09.28 AM.png [ 321.24 KiB | Viewed 26 times ]

Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 6.27.11 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 6.27.11 AM.png [ 327.54 KiB | Viewed 25 times ]

ImageImage

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:56 am 
Site Admin

Alright, so coming July 20th, I'm going to release the first prototype. I will be releasing two different builds. One for PC users and one for Mac users. And while Android/IOS is possible, I heard there's more complex stuff with that, so I won't release those kind of builds unless I get a lot of people requesting me to do so.

Now what you will get to play is NOT a representation of what to expect in the final game. The prototype is 100% for testing purposes and for me to learn RPG Maker's limits and capabilities. It will not have the sprites for Sonic and Tails, Sonic is still presented as a generic knight, and the design of the main map is sloppily put together. But what you will get are three test maps (not including a blank map with an autorun intro). Two of them with functional stuff to do. The third one will have stuff to do in a future prototype.

Right now, the only thing I've fully implemented is a conversation you (as Sorta-Sonic) would have with Tails. And depending on how you start the conversation, you can find a sign on the main map that says exactly what you've chosen. And this is to test out variables and show that the choices you make will affect the overall game as characters might bring up what you've done before, and their dialogue differs based on a constant given to the same variable.

In future builds, there will be more structured quests, events, items, and I want to test out a unique mechanic I thought of, revolving around being poisoned, and how to get rid of it without antidote entirely helping.

ImageImage

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:47 am 
Site Admin

Today is my birthday and I finally released the first prototype for the Sonic Fan Game!

YouTube Video: https://youtu.be/1dO-jOtf3zM

If you are interested in downloading the first prototype, keep on reading.

Q: What is this sh*t?
A: This is a prototype where I test out the engine I am using, RPG Maker MV. But please bare in mind that ANYTHING in this build does not represent the game I want to make. This is all just for testing purposes. So the sprites for Sonic and Tails are not available yet or they look like images on a sheet, so you will be playing as a generic knight until I get a proper sprite of Sonic.

Q: What should I do?
A: Explore what the prototype has to offer. The only biggest thing in this build is a conversation you can have with Tails, where you can represent Sonic the way you believe he is.

Q: Can I do a gameplay video on this prototype?
A: Knock yourself out! Any promotion would be awesome! Just remember that it is just a build for testing purposes, so criticize only the ideas, not the overall presentation as everything is obviously incomplete or a placeholder.

Q: When will the next build be released?
A: Until I’ve completed the poison system and finished a side quest that will have more than one way to complete it. As well as some little secrets here and there. I’d say as late as the start of August. There’s bugs I’m constantly fixing and even softlocks because of what needs to be written in the code for the events to function properly.

Q: Can I help you with making the game?
A: I’m not looking for volunteers right now. I might ask for some in the future, but it’s too soon. If you want to give me some motivation to work as hard as I can, any feedback or donations to Patreon would be greatly appreciated!

Q: Game crash. Reason?
A: I can’t help you with that. I’ve tested both versions and they worked as intended.

Download the first prototype below:

Windows:
https://mega.nz/#F!VDxGXbgB!_HUj2tT8jhV4LPQGASXBgw

Mac OSX:
https://mega.nz/#F!8TJDjT5B!u389oznmVkuTVk6gSLFtEA

Click on “Download as ZIP.” Do not try to download the files individually.

Bugs I'm aware of or were done on purpose for humor:
- A door following you wherever you go.
- An incomplete battle background.
- Everything inside the cave across the pond.
- A spot in the wall you can walk into on a stone path
- Misused sprites of Tails and Sonic
- Not giving wait time for the knocking

Guest Star: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheJRPictures

Sonic POLL: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... sp=sf_link

ImageImage

Report this post

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 12 posts ]